Wednesday, December 1, 2010

True Love

You think it’s the end, but it’s just the beginning.
-Bob Marley
                During Yoga, you are asked to pick a word or feeling to focus on.  This should be an extension of your day, something you’d like to work on, keep close or possibly discard. Today I chose “forward” in hopes of keeping feelings of warmth and love close to my heart.  Feelings I’ve been having all day, feelings that were given to me by the people I love.  Let me paint a picture.  Upon entering the building this morning, I was greeted by a throng of colleagues, all waiting to hear my news.  Each person had a look of genuine happiness on their face as I shared my photos and tales of Marley Ryan.  Before my eyes, the hallway filled with friends, men and women, oohing and aaahing, hugging, smiling and simply just caring.  This continued well after the bell rang and when I finally made my way to my classroom, I was welcomed by fresh flowers, gifts and cards, all shouting their congratulations, love and support.  This is my life.
                Sometimes it takes an end to show a beginning.  My loss has opened up something bigger than words could ever describe.  I am encircled by such love, such kindness, such true and genuine support.  This is my family, my friends, the wonderful people I work with, the families of my students; all of these people have opened their hearts and wrapped their arms around me in a tight, warm and comforting embrace.  It’s been almost two months and still these people have not let go, they continue to hold strong, lift me up and catch me when I fall.  I’ll never be able to show them what they truly mean to me, never will I find the words to describe my gratitude and awe.  This used to upset me, but now I realize what I can do.  I can smile.  I can laugh.  I can walk with a little bounce in my step because really, this is all these people want.  This is true love and I am surrounded by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment