Thursday, December 30, 2010

Walk Good

Love the life you live, live the life you love.  –Bob Marley

Recently I’ve been faced with writer’s block.  The emotions of the holidays took me by surprise, hit me hard and left me tired and restless.   Facing the New Year is the last of my daunting celebratory challenges.  Many of my close friends and family have commented that they are happy to see 2010 come to an end.  They’ve described this year as the worst of their life.  You’d think that of anyone, I would agree with this sentiment, but I think it’s imperative to remember that 2010 was simply fantastic right up until it wasn’t.  Many amazing things have come out of this year and like everything else Ryan and I shared, I don’t want to overlook or lose any of it.  Through reflection I’ve recounted my year and remembered that in 2010 Ryan and I:
Dug our toes in the sands of Negril
Drank yard bongs in Las Vegas
Celebrated our five year anniversary
Spent a week in Galena, IL loving each other and discovering our new favorite town
Adopted a clumsy, hungry kitten
Finished redoing the exterior of our house - a 2 year project
Built our dream country kitchen
Cooked live lobsters
Camped with friends
Camped with family
Shared our Galena with both sets of parents
Had a very successful driveway sale
Spent countless evenings sipping wine on our front porch
Spent a fun filled week chasing each other around the house trying to get pregnant
Got pregnant!
Kept pregnancy a secret for exactly 15 hours
Ryan was promoted to ICU
Ryan won a national award of nursing excellence
I discovered I LOVE teaching older kids
Played on a volleyball team that actually won sometimes
Ryan invented and perfected his Bear Claw Volleyball hit
Bought a new couch, rug, entertainment center and secretary
Bought the mission style bedroom furniture we’d been dreaming about
Took our dogs for countless walks through 4 unique and beautiful seasons
Enjoyed a very warm spring
Took naps in the sunny and warm backyard
Built a snowman
Laughed while shoveling Thunder Snow
Saw two dear friends get married
Welcomed 3 new babies into our lives…

This is only a taste of the happiness 2010 brought to us; the list could go on forever.  Every day was littered with happy nuances, small moments of light that shined through our hearts.  I wouldn’t trade these memories for anything and I do not wish 2010 a negative adieu nor do I perceive it as a year I’d rather forget.  Instead, I recognize it as the last year I spent with the man of my dreams, the husband I adored.  I see it as a piece of Ryan and I’s puzzle, a piece that although important, was not extraordinary, but instead just a happy, genuine piece of a happy, genuine life.  If we can learn anything from this tragedy, let’s remember this:  Love the life you live, live the life you love.  Don’t wait for tomorrow, do it now, walk good.
Our House

Nutrition Break in Galena

Bear Claw!

Country Kitchen

Negril

2 comments:

  1. OK so what now am I to do with this pile of tears on my desk?
    I love you Shorty!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kristin for sharing with us these memories. Love you!
    Auntie Wendy

    ReplyDelete